Artist Reflection- nelson ramirez de arellano conde

Posible Emigrante 0010


Todos los caminos conducen al mar 1997


Going to the artist talk I wasn't sure what to expect because I didn't know anything about Nelson or his work. I didn't know if he was a painter or a filmmaker or a photographer. Partway through the lecture I still didn't know for sure. But the way Nelson approached his work through the very thorough history of Cuban photography provided an important point of view for looking at his work. I know his work would be political but not sure in what way. I think the presentation taught me more about Cuba and the revolution and it's history of photography than it did Nelson's work, but that's obviously still very important and interesting. I would have liked to look at more of Nelson's work, although he did let us know that he could talk about a specific thing (history of Cuba and Cuban photography specifically) for hours. I wanted to know more about his process, and because of this and the fact that I'm not extremely interested in the history of photography specifically, I did find the talk a bit boring. But I took away valuable and interesting information still, and found Nelson to be inspiring, knowledgable, humble, and humorous. 

Comments